Thursday, July 12, 2007

Delicate matters

Jet has been having... um... boy problems. He's been telling me that his "pee-nit" hurts. Often. And I'm sure that someday he'll appreciate that I've told the internets about his pee-nit. If it wasn't for him, though, I wouldn't ever have anything interesting to write about. Such is the price of being an adorable little boy. :)

I originally thought it was related to swimming. He started complaining about it a few days into the swim lessons. Maybe the chemicals in the pool? Swim diapers? Potty training? Who knew?

I wish it were that easy.

You see, we never really talked about whether or not to have him circumcised. I had read all over the internet the pros and cons about it (because everything we read on the internet is gospel, donchaknow!?!?). I don't have one, so I figured we should just let the boy be. I guess Knight felt the same - I can't really remember -- and when Jet's doctor came to our hospital room after he was born, we politely said, no, thank you to the circumcision. I did ask his opinion, and he sort of shrugged and said it really was a personal preference.

Fast forward a few weeks. For some reason, we changed our minds. Okay, I probably changed our minds (the Royal "Our"). I'd had a horrible kidney infection after Jet was born, so I'd been seeing a urologist. I asked him the circumcision question in passing, and he gave me all the reasons why we should have it done. He said it didn't really matter when boys are young, but there are all sorts of issues that (ahem) arise as men age that can be avoided if they had just been circumcised.

My urologist referred us to the pediatric urologist in his group, who said he figured Jet was still little enough to have the procedure done in the office. So my mom and I took him in (Knight was working) at six weeks old. Dr. Snipthetip sent me back to the waiting area, which was just as well, because I was enough of a wreck in the waiting room. I probably would have been yelling worse than Jet if I'd stayed in the room.

After about five minutes, Nurse Snipthetip (no relation) motioned to me to come back to the room. Dr. Snipthetip informed me that Jet was already "too big" for the instrument that they use. They discovered this after they had strapped him down to the table, numbed him up, and retracted the foreskin.

I felt like the worst mother E.V.E.R., both for letting them do all of this to my sweet, innocent baby, without actually accomplishing the mission, and because my first thought upon hearing about the problem was, "Well, Knight will be proud to hear that his son was too big."

The only way for him to be circumcised at this point was to take him to surgery. That thought was too scary for a six-week-old baby, especially for an elective proceudre. Dr. Snipthetip told me just to leave things alone down there and it would take care if itself.

So, here we are, three years later, and he'll have to be circumcised. I don't know for sure if it was Dr. Snipthetip's fault after not being able to complete the procedure the first time around. Anyway, I'm hoping we can have it done ASAP, both to relieve the discomfort Jet is experiencing and to just get it over with, already.

2 comments:

Lady M said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jet needing surgery. No fun.

A relatively small percentage (less than 50%) of boys are circumcised in our area, perhaps because of a large non-Anglo population.

Ry said...

I'm SO SORRY to hear about this! I'll keep y'all in my prayers!!! Poor baby! (You too ;)

I giggle everytime I read the word "pee-nit"!